The applications for 2020 are now closed.
- July 14 — Written Applications posted online
- July 19 — Last day for mentor support request
- August 23 —Deadline: Written Application packets due
- September 21 — Interview Finalists announced
- October 6— Interviews
- October 12– Awards Announcement, Homecoming Brunch
With the extended application time, there is every reason that reasonable time management and work-life balance will permit submission of quality applications with supportive mentoring while still having time to enjoy the summer break. This model is not unlike post-graduate life balance. This is aimed at supporting our applicants not only for success with the Scholarship but coaching that will help them exceed in the professional arena.
Palmer Alumnae Endowed Scholarships Awards are open to:
- Undergraduate members of the Palmer Society with declared Active status for Fall 2019. Active status must be compliant with Whittier College’s requirements and standards for active society members, including but not limited to College enrollment and to academic eligibility
- Graduation date no sooner the Spring 2020
- She must have completed at least one full semester of service as an Active member
- She must retain voting privileges and she must owe no outstanding monies to the society prior to Fall 2019
- She must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Additional details regarding eligibility are published in the Palmer Scholarship Criteria
Participation and Leadership (30% hard score)
Mission and Values Assessment (70% evaluated score) – Short answer and Resume
Participation and Leadership Scoring
This parameter aims to evaluate the applicant’s stewardship to the Palmer Society. Only completed service through Spring 2019 is counted towards the applicant scores.
Mission and Values Assessment
Each Applicant is evaluated by individual reviewers for how she upholds the stated Palmer Society Mission and Values. (70% soft score) This parameter is evaluated through written behavioral based essays and the applicant’s personal record and goals as elucidated in her resume.
Applicants may request alumnae mentor support for coaching on their application. Alumnae mentors will help organize and discuss essays or the resume, wherever feedback is desired, however the content is the sole responsibility of the applicant. Mentoring sessions should be completed within 30-45 minutes, depending the negotiated time.
Invitations to interview will be extended to applicants based on written application scores and scored feedback from alumnae sponsors. Interviewers will be given access to the applicants’ scored applications. Interviewers may use this information to determine questions for the applicants or select from a list of predetermined questions assembled by the scholarship board. The interview panel uses all the information provided and learned from interview to build a consensus ranking of the applicants. Awards will be given as determined by the scholarship panel based on this ranking.
Palmer Alumnae Endowed Scholarships aims to award 2-3 prizes in the $1,000-$3,000 range. The payout for 2020 is TBA. The distribution of the awards will be determined based on written application and interview performance of the applicant field.
Office hours will be available upon request with due notice.